The West Newbury Police Department currently has one School Resource Officer, who is utilized in all three schools in town. Officer Michael Dwyer is assigned to this role. Through education and enforcement the position focuses on youth related issues affecting the school district. By having an officer assigned to the three schools, it enables Officer Dwyer to build relationships with students, parents teachers and staff. The following are some of the programs taught by Officer Dwyer:
- Anti-bullying – The SRO is a member of a district-wide anti-bullying team and teaches different grade levels on prevention measures.
- Works with guidance counselors and at risk students.
- Traffic – Monitors and assists in traffic issues at morning drop off and dismissal.
- Develops safety protocols for the new high school building.
- Works with teachers and students at the high school in the public safety classes, which are made up of students who have and interest in a career with police, fire and EMS.